Today, attempts by pro-gay theologians and pro-gay apologists to revise the historic teachings of the Church with regard to homosexual practice are relentless. Admittedly, their effort to persuade the clergy and theologians of the moral legitimacy of homosexual conduct has not been carried out in a vacuum. Battles continue, as those who favor homosexual practice promote the notion that there is no clear answer to the issue. There are even those that attempt to persuade under the banners of ‘love’ and ‘commitment’ that homosexual relationships be justified.
Today, there are powerful forces at work with the enemy having accomplished much by utilizing his divide and conquer tactics. Clearly, many are now worshipping another Jesus. A Jesus which has been created by man that requires absolutely no sacrifice, makes no demands of obedience, and is completely and totally silent when it comes to sexual sin.
Scripturally speaking, what do we know about homosexuality?
- We are created beings and created with a specific intent. (Genesis 1:26-2:23) God’s blueprint for human sexuality as found in Genesis 1 and 2, clearly establishes that from the beginning God had a divine intent for human sexuality with well-defined holy boundary lines to live within regarding sexual expression.
- God’s divine intent for human sexuality is fulfilled within the covenant of a monogamous and heterosexual union. (Matthew 19:4-6)
- We are a fallen race, and the Fall has marred every part of our experience, including our sexual experience. (Romans 5:12-19)
- Homosexuality is a manifestation of fallen nature and it violates created intent. (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)
- Homosexuals are redeemable and change is possible. (1 Corinthians 6:11)
Nowhere within the totality of Scripture will you find even one positive statement about homosexual practice. Every time homosexuality is mentioned it is always mentioned as a behavior in which no man or woman is to practice. Difficult as this standard is to obey, it is the calling of Christ for all His followers, including those with same-sex attractions and desires.
The problem with pro-gay theologians and pro-gay apologists is their theorizing and speculating on what Scripture does not say about homosexuality while a true faithful follower of Christ Jesus stands upon the clarity and authority of Scripture regarding homosexual practice. Revisionists can justify virtually any type of sexual relationship, including those traditionally and historically considered immoral.
Revisionists have been quite successful in confusing compassion with acceptance of homosexual practice. Those promoting ‘the liberating power of love,’ continue to blur the lines by citing ‘some of God’s Word’ as too repressive. However, Jesus Himself repeatedly affirmed the relevance and importance of moral law:
Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets, I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18)
Ultimately, any effort to redefine homosexual practice (in any form and to any degree) as acceptable and consistent with biblical faith constitutes an attack upon the very foundations of the Christian faith and Church.
As revisionist attacks will no doubt continue, faithful followers of the teachings of Christ must continue to counter any and all attempts to make homosexuality morally acceptable. Not to do so would undermine the traditional and historic Christian understanding regarding sexual morality.
The Gospel message that Jesus preached was and is a message of repentance and surrender. Like Jesus, His followers are to suffer the rejection of the world. We are intended to be at odds with the thinking and attitudes of this world. To water down the Gospel to make it acceptable is to lose the truth and life of God’s message.
In a world that is rapidly accepting everything and tolerating anything, faithful followers of Christ Jesus must be extremely careful. Many false teachers exist today with their underlying message being homosexuality is acceptable for anyone who wants to engage in it – a direct contradiction of Scripture.
Today, virtually nothing in society promotes the truth about homosexuality. The lies that homosexuality is a fulfilling, normal and healthy alternative saturate the media. Many are tenacious and relentless in elevating same-sex desire to the level of a moral norm.
The Church is presently faced with a challenge of significance of which is nearly impossible to exaggerate. Is ‘tolerance’ to be extended without limitation to any and all kinds of sexual expression? Is any kind of sexual relationship scripturally permissible as long as it is ‘consensual’? Does it all come down to a matter of personal taste?
I still believe the Church remains God’s vehicle to reach wounded, broken, hurting humanity. Therefore, may we, His Church:
- Affirm the biblical position that God loves all persons, with homosexuality being one sin among many others and that the Holy Spirit is available to transform all persons – including the same-sex attracted individual.
- Minister to persons with unwanted same-sex attraction and their families as partners in Christ’s work of healing and transformation.
- Call the Church to recognize and confess its need for repentance of its welcoming and affirming of homosexual practice in the Church.
He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. (Micah 6:8)
Pastor Phillip Lee
His Way Out Ministries
Member of Restored Hope Network